2023 Theme –
“Timeless Chatham: Then, Now & Beyond”
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR ENTRANTS – PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY
Requirements for Entry:
Submit your registration no later than June 15, 2023 by completing the online application form. The link to the form is at the bottom of this page- please read all of the important entrant information!
All Entries will be reviewed by the Independence Day Parade Committee; if an entry does not meet all requirements, participation will be denied. Everything must be filled out completely for the application to be accepted. Please email any questions to [email protected].
Applications received after the June 15, 2023 deadline may NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Rules for Participation (developed in conjunction with the Chatham Police Department):
- Throwing anything to the crowd, including candy and flyers, is strictly prohibited. This creates a potentially dangerous situation with implications for health, safety and injury.
- No float apparatus or act can exceed 14 feet in height from street level and width must not exceed 8 feet.
- All Entries and displays must be free from images reflecting cruelty, denigration or abuse to persons or groups, because of race, creed, gender or economic status.
- Emergency vehicles must be given the right of way at all times.
- Participants must remain grouped within parade boundaries or as directed by the Police or Parade Monitors. If the parade stops, participant groups must remain together. Unauthorized stops along the parade route are not permitted.
- It is essential to keep pace throughout the parade for the best experience for spectators and other entrants.
- Drinking alcoholic beverages is prohibited while in line before the start of and during the parade.
- The Parade Committee would like to recommend that entries not use helium balloons. Balloons pose a serious threat to wildlife if they are released. Whales, turtles, seabirds and other animals have all been killed by mistaking balloons for food and swallowing them. Let’s keep Chatham healthy!
These rules are for the safety of everyone. Not following them will jeopardize your participation in future parades.
Logistics of Parade:
- Entrants’ position number in the parade will be assigned and listed on the Independence Day Parade Committee website in June and in a June issue of the Cape Cod Chronicle. (Entry registration dates do not factor into planning the parade order.)
- Prior to parade day, entrants are strongly encouraged to check in and pick up their position number flags at the Chatham Police Department at 249 George Ryder Road on the following days/times:
- Friday June 30 from 3-7pm
- Saturday July 1 from 10am-2pm
- Entrants who are not able to check in during the above times must check in prior to positioning on Shore Road with a Parade Monitor stationed at the Chatham Town Fish Pier by 8:30am on the morning of July 4th.
- All entrants must be checked in and in parade position at your numbered staging area on Shore Road no later than the times designated below:
- Entry #1 through #25 check in between 7:00am – 7:30am
- Entry #26 through #50 check in between 7:30am – 8:00am
- Entries #51 and up check in between 8:00am – 8:30am
- All entrants must be in parade position by 8:30am
- Position number must be displayed on the LEFT side of the Entry.
- The parade begins at 9:30am at the intersection of Shore Road and Main Street, and finishes at the intersection of Crowell Road and Tip Cart Road. Please adhere to police instructions for exiting the parade area.
- For entrants wishing to park at the Monomoy Regional Middle School, a shuttle bus will take you to Shore Road. This shuttle will run starting at 6:30am. The shuttle will run from the end of the parade back to the Monomoy Regional Middle School.
- To qualify for an award, the Entry must be consistent with the parade theme.
- All awards are determined solely at the discretion of the Judges.
- Entries are viewed by Judges along the parade route. The Judges’ reviewing stand is located on the lawn of the First United Methodist Church at the intersection of Main Street and Cross Street. Please do not stop here and delay the parade.
- Your Entry may win more than one award.
Parade Award Categories:
- 1st Place – Overall Best Entry will be recognized by an engraved brass plaque on the Chatham Parade Trophy displayed at Town Hall.
- 2nd Place Entry
- 3rd Place Entry
- Best Youth Entry (participants under
18 years old)
- Most Patriotic Entry
- Funniest Entry
- Best Family Entry
- Best Civic Entry
- Best Business Entry (new this year)
When planning your entry, please keep in mind that the theme must be incorporated in a way the judges can see and understand in order to be eligible for prizes!
All of the category award winners will receive a custom-designed engraved plaque which will be presented at an
awards ceremony during a Select Board meeting later in July.
Ready to sign up? Click here: